When it comes to choosing skincare products, there’s no denying that the choices are abundant in today’s world. So, how do you know which one is the right one for you without spending hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars? One of the best ways to narrow the selection is to understand the choices. Forget the glamorous ads and the big promises. Instead, do your research.
Here, our team from Buff City Soap is presenting you with what may be a bit of eye-opener. Take a closer look at that go-to and make today the day you fall in love with clean beauty.
Let’s talk about parabens and phthalates.
You’ve most likely come across both of these terms at some point. But how much do you know? Presented in several forms, parabens and phthalates are two of the most common and undoubtedly harmful compounds in the recent spotlight.
- Parabens are preservatives. Used to prevent the growth of mold and other harmful bacteria, they may seem like a helpful little additive, but don’t be fooled. The truth is, common parabens, such as methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and ethylparaben, are currently under investigation by the FDA for potential links to cancer, reproductive problems, endocrine disruptors, allergic reactions, and respiratory issues. Yet, they remain unregulated. There are a lot of unknowns when it comes to parabens. Why would you take the risk when paraben-free options are available?
- Phthalates make plastics more durable. While this ingredient is less talked about, some argue it is the bigger of the two evils. Phthalates are proven endocrine-disrupting agents. As a compound used for over 50 years, several studies and arguments exist on why this ingredient should be banned from consumer products. Learn more in a recent article from Harvard University.
Reading the Ingredient List.
Did you know that when reading an ingredient list from top to bottom, the list reads from the highest percentage of ingredients used to the lowest? So, here is our challenge to you.
Take a moment and look at that favorite go-to product’s ingredient list. What is the first item listed? What is the last? And, even more importantly, how many ingredients can you pronounce and understand in that beloved product of yours?
Let’s start with the number one ingredient in most commercialized skincare products, water. Now, you may be thinking – It’s water. What could possibly be bad about water? Nothing, actually. But, the fact that you’re most likely paying good money for a product that promises results through specific ingredients (not water), yet is produced mainly with water … think about that. Would you pay $30+ for bottled water?
In this instance, water is used as nothing more than filler and provides very little (if any) beneficial features. Beyond water, here are a few more common ingredients that should wave a red flag when deciding on purchasing a product:
- Polyethylene Glycol
Not sure what some of these are? Do some research and be alarmed about what you may be unknowingly exposing yourself to each day.
The benefits of handmade, plant-based skincare.
Okay, we promised you reasons to fall in love with Buff – So now that you understand the ugly side of many skincare products, let’s talk about something good. Plant. Based. Skincare.
Let’s go back to those ingredients.
Now that we know what we don’t want in our skincare let’s look at the things we do want.
- Sodium Cocoate (Coconut Oil)
- Sodium Palmate (Palm Oil)
- Sodium Rapeseedate (Rapeseed Oil)
- Sodium Olivate (Olive Oil)
- Shea Butter
And, guess what – These are the primary ingredients found at Buff City Soap! Did we mention we’re plant-based so you can feel great about the products you choose?
Here at Buff City Soap New England, we take pride in offering a range of products that our Guests can feel confident about using. So, let’s sum it up with five reasons to fall in love with your new skincare routine:
- No harsh chemicals.
- Never any parabens or phthalates.
- No animal fats.
- Handmade with plant-based ingredients.
- Unscented clean beauty for you and your family (Of course, we can add your favorite scent to customize any product, too)!
Visit your local Makery today and experience plant-based, handmade goodness that your skin deserves!